It’s nice to have a few cookie recipes that you can make in just 15 minutes when you have a sweet craving.
For some reason, the colder months make you want even more candy. Maybe it’s all those Christmas cookies or seasonal snacks filling the coffee shop shelves, but when that draw hits, it’s hard to avoid.
Luckily, this recipe is super easy and you’ll love it!
Ingredients for low-carb cookies
These cookies contain only 5 simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry or fridge.
Best of all, all of these ingredients are low in carbs and high in protein. Each cookie contains only one gram of net carbs. You can eat something!
This is what you need to make these cookies.
- Almond flour – use almond flour, not almond meal. Almond flour gives the liver a grainy appearance and flavor because it contains bits of the almond husk.
- Butter – use unsalted butter. Make sure it’s soft before you use it so it’s easier to mix with the ingredients.
- Vanilla – Definitely do not choose added sugar.
- Powdered sugar substitute – I used Swerve, but you can use any of your favorite powdered sugar substitutes. Do not use granulated keto sweetener, as it will affect the texture of the cookies.
- Xanthan gum – it helps all the ingredients blend together better. It acts like the gluten in the recipe, but contains no carbs or calories. If you want to make low-carb baked goods, you need to have this on hand.
How to make Keto style shortbread cookies
Shortbread cookies are so fun and easy to make. They have a crunchy texture that literally melts in your mouth, and this low-carb version has the same delicious texture.
If you want to save time, you can prepare the dough in advance and bake it later. It will keep for about a week in the fridge or a month in the freezer.
Make sure the butter is soft and at room temperature before preparing the dough. If you forget to soften the butter, you can use the microwave. Just heat it to 50% of its power and check it at 5 second intervals.
Once you have softened the butter, mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix on high until everything is incorporated.
Shape the dough into small balls of equal size. Then flatten them and punch holes in the cookies. You can make holes in any pattern.
Tips for cooking low-carb shortbread
- These cookies are perfect with a cup of hot coffee or keto tea. As an excellent source of protein and fat, they are also a healthy addition to your breakfast.
- When spreading the cookie dough, make sure they are all the same size. This way they are all cooked at once and none of them burn.
- They taste better if you let them cool a bit after cooking.
- To store cookies, simply keep them in a sealed container on the counter or in the pantry. They can be stored at room temperature for about a week. You can also keep them in the fridge.
Frequently asked questions about Gluten Free Shortbread
You can find the full recipe at the end of this post. First, I have a few questions I’d like answered.
Can I use coconut flour instead of almond flour?
No, baking with coconut flour is very different from baking with almond flour. Coconut flour absorbs much more moisture than almond flour, so you’ll need to adjust the amount of butter you use.
In fact, I never recommend trying to replace almond flour with coconut flour. It is very difficult to get the same texture because coconut flour is a very dry ingredient.
How do you know the keto shortbread is baked?
These cookies only take 12 minutes to bake completely. You know they’re made when the edges turn a light golden color, like in my photos.
When you take them out of the oven, they are still soft. They get hard when they get cold.
Are shortbread cookies the same as shortbread?
The ingredients of butter cookies are very similar to those of shortbread cookies, but they are not the same. Both types of cookies use a lot of butter as the main ingredient.
The main difference between butter cookies and water cookies is that butter cookies contain more sugar and are easier to handle with cookie cutters.
In fact, many people make butter cookies in fun shapes. Shortbread is usually rectangular or round.
Are shortbread cookies the same as sugar cookies?
No, a shortbread cookie is not the same as a sugar cookie. Sugar cookies contain many more ingredients, including a leavening agent such as baking powder or baking soda.
Sugar cookies have a very different dough. They can be shaped and are usually glazed and decorated.
Shortbread cookies contain fewer ingredients and are usually served without a glaze.
How many cookies can this recipe make?
With this recipe you can make about twenty small butter cookies. If you want to give them as DIY gifts, I recommend doubling the recipe. Since there are only two steps – mixing and cooking – it doesn’t take long to double it.
Keto Bread Biscuits
These low-carb butter cookies contain only 5 simple ingredients! So simple that anyone can make them. And for only 1g of net carbs per piece, they hardly feel guilty!
Video recording (click on the image to play it)
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 12 minutes
Total duration 27 minutes
Yes, of course: Dessert
PrintSave pin barSave recipeSave recipe Show collectionsSave recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix on high speed until fully incorporated.
- Form the dough into 20 equal-sized balls and gently press them into cookie sheets with your fingers.
- Drill a few rows of holes in the center of each cookie with the tines of a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges begin to brown.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
When spreading the cookie dough, make sure they are all the same size. That way they are all cooked at once and no one burns. They taste better if you let them cool a bit after you take them out of the oven.
To store cookies, simply keep them in a sealed container on the counter or in the pantry. They can be stored at room temperature for about a week. You can also keep them in the fridge.
Conversion table for low carbon sweeteners | Keto sweeteners
Serve : 1 biscuit | calories : 104 | Carbohydrates: 2 g | Protein: 2 g | Fat: 10 g | Saturated fat: 3 g | Cholesterol: 12 mg | Sodium: 42 mg | Dietary fibre: 1 g | Sugar: 1 g | Vitamin A : 140IU | Calcium: 25 mg | Iron: 1 mg
keto almond flour chocolate chip cookies, keto almond flour peanut butter cookies, keto almond butter cookies, keto lemon shortbread cookies, crispy almond flour cookies, shortbread with honey instead of sugar, keto chocolate shortbread cookies, keto christmas baking, keto thumbprint cookies, keto shortbread cookies with coconut flour, keto shortbread cookies with cream cheese, keto shortbread cake, mind over munch peanut butter cookies, keto no bake coconut treats, high protein low carb peanut butter cookies, mind over munch shortbread cookies, low carb biscuits uk supermarket, keto coconut christmas cookies, voortman sugar free shortbread cookies, keto lemon cream cheese cookies, almond flour lemon shortbread cookies, keto lemon baked cheesecake, keto lemon pie with pecan crust, keto lemon cheesecake fluff, keto hamburger meatballs, keto lemon bars with shortbread crust, coconut flour shortbread crust, protein shortbread cookies, lemon bars with almond flour, shortbread crust recipe for 9×13 pan, keto lemon lavender cookies, coconut flour shortbread bars, keto scottish shortbread, low sugar low carb cookies, keto cookies list, almond flour shortbread cookies, almond flour shortbread cookies keto, keto cookies almond flour, low carb cookies, keto butter cookies